Monday, December 16, 2013

Courage - Keep fighting the good fight


I struggle to keep writing in this blog. While I have received positive feedback, I have also received cold shoulders. Getting sad or putting myself down due to unsettling feedback is non-sense. If I stopped being who I am by hiding my experiences, I’d be completely lost. I refuse to keep my mouth shut for the sake of someone else’s sheltered conformity.

My first week in the 12 week Journey’s program at the VA was pretty tough. Still apprehensive on whether this trauma focused program will do what I need it to:overcome. It’s more apparent now that many of my quirks and bad traits are a result of my past traumas. I’m doing my best to force smiles but I fear many can see through them. The courage that got me this far is tapping my shoulder to remind me why I’m writing in the first place. I’m writing with the intent to help others find their courage, and to continue finding mine.

I’ve decided I’m going to share my experience in the 12 week trauma focused Journey’s program here on my blog. So far my notes consist of tools to keep me grounded.

Week One Notes/Tools:

*Pay attention to internal and external observations.
*Stop judging your emotions

*TIP Skills for interpreting anxiety mind
Temperature (cold water/ice on your eyes invokes a divers response and slows your heart rate).
Intense Exercise – (I miss running and working out more than I ever thought I would. Don’t take things for granted)
Paced breathing (put your diaphragm into it)

*Growing up in an unsupportive environment with traumas will exaggerate your Monkey Mind (lizard brain).

*Mindfulness Skills:
            -Observe (be like teflon and let it slide off)
            -Describe (put words on the experience)
            -Participate (become one with the experience)

*Depression is a mood; sadness is the emotion

*Judging – can be good and bad; using either can flaw the reality you see re: the thing being judged.

When you’re not living in the present, you’re missing out on life. Live in the moment!
             *Acknowledge your accomplishments

5 Choices to react to a situation:
            1) Change the situation (interpersonal skills)
            2) Change how you feel (emotion regulation)
            3) Radical Acceptance (accept rather than approving or liking)
            4) Stay Miserable (complaining and ruminating)
            5) Make things worse


*A group member referred to their PTSD as The Hulk, “lil green monster”– this gave me a good chuckle.

The core of this trauma-focused program is judgment:
            *Less judgment = more success
            * Stick to the FACTS = less judgment = less hyperarousal = win

*Dear Man is a concept on how to see situations in a better light:
             Describe – ONLY facts
             Express – how “I” feel
             Assert – what you want or say NO
             Reinforce – pat on the back, rewards

             Mindful – focus on your goals and maintain your position, don’t get
              distracted,  don’t get off topic
             Appear Confident – use confident voice and stay in the present
             Negotiate – be willing to give to get


The notes for week one don’t stop here, but I wanted to highlight the top discussions. These tools can be useful for everyday life. As I continue writing, I’ll do my best to keep this blog interesting and informative. Please don’t be shy if you would like me to elaborate personally.

Keep fighting the good fight, while smiling!

Thanks again for reading! Until next time…



No comments:

Post a Comment