Sunday, January 5, 2014

What Defines You?


These past weeks have been quite challenging and most days have left me too exhausted to update my blog. I’ve been testing my psychological limits in every way imaginable by facing past traumas I didn’t realize were haunting me. My mind has become completely exhausted.  

I asked a friend about their experience during war and whether they suffer from the same symptoms. Their response was no, and their feedback was that I shouldn’t let PTSD define who I am. Slightly taken back by this response, I decided to really examine my motivations and whether I am in fact letting the diagnosis define who I am. I don’t believe I am.

People tend to avoid things that cause them pain. Without realizing it, this avoidance only deepens the agony. Adopting an avoidant life allows more avoidance and sooner or later the avoidance defines who you are. Afraid to face pain because the immediate avoidant relief is easier to handle, will continue to haunt your soul until it is dealt with.  The longer you avoid dealing, the more you’ll suffer.  People can’t find happiness or move on with their life if a part of their soul is locked away or ignored. If a part of you is locked away, who are you, really?

I’ve learned that once you deal with your pain you’ll be able to move past it and have a stronger sense of self than those who elect not to overcome such adversity. Dealing with your pain increases your self-confidence and decreases your emotional sensitivity, which expands and enriches your life. Thus, I don’t feel I’m letting my diagnoses define me, I’m overcoming the avoidant part of who I am. In doing so I’m climbing the steepest mountain of my life and am proud that I’m not letting PTSD or “baggage” keep parts of me hidden, because these parts deserve to thrive.

Love and Happiness,

Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment